Reasons why you should stop using Wax Warmers and Candles
Most of us have a wax warmer/scentsy/candles burning throughout our house but did you know it could be toxic?
Today's market is saturated with soy candles "blended" with toxic paraffin wax and chemicals from fragrances. I use to be a complete candle-scenty addict but I ditched all of them since 2017. Once my wellness journey began I started to turn to more natural remedies and began detoxifying my home. We are subjected to toxins every day and I wanted to make my home a safe haven. After becoming ill it opened my eyes to the truth behind the food and products I was using on a daily basis making me fat, sick and tired!
CLICK READ MORE BELOW
I remember my roommate selling me on the scentsy because the automatic room sprays were toxic and it was more cat friendly. Although in hindsight some of this was true, pets tend to tip it over or get their hair in it. Hot wax was also an alarming factor for my precious fur babies!
Diffusing essential oils became a very important routine in my household. It not only makes my home smell nice, but the essential oils can provide many wellness benefits. One comment I will make is that not all essential oils are created equal either and after researching different brands of oils I chose Young Living. Their seed to seal promise proves to hold integrity behind their products I can trust with my nieces and my cats. I will post more about oils safe for pets and children in a future post so stay tuned!
What is really in a candle?
Although they seem safe, regular scented candles are a huge source of air pollution in your home and they put off chemicals that are considered just as dangerous as second-hand smoke. Paraffin is a petroleum waste product and has to be deodorized and chemically bleached before it can be made in to wax.
Most candles are made of paraffin wax, which creates highly toxic benzene and toluene when burned (a substance capable of causing cancer in living tissue). In fact, the toxins released from paraffin candles are the same as those found in diesel fuel fumes. SCARY I KNOW!
On top of that, many scented candles also have wicks that contain heavy metals like lead and even a few hours of burning them can create levels of airborne heavy metals that are much higher than the acceptable limits. Candle wicks are supposed to be made of cotton or paper, but studies have found that as much as 30% of candles contain heavy metals in the wicks. “A candle with a lead-core wick releases five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children and exceeds EPA pollution standards for outdoor air, says the CPSC, which is why they banned lead wicks in 2003. Exposure to high amounts of lead has been linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and numerous health problems.”
Now let’s discuss the artificial scents and dyes, which release additional chemicals when burned in candles. This is done to save money because it is incredibly cheap to have more scent for less product. You definitely don’t get the therapeutic benefits as you would with an oil. In a report by the Natural Academy of Sciences they found 95% of chemicals used in synthetic fragrances are derived from petroleum and included benzene derivatives, aldehydes and many other known toxins and synthesisers capable of causing cancer, birth defects, central nervous system disorders and allergic reactions.
If you didn’t know, the FDA does not require fragrance manufacturers to disclose the ingredients of the synthetic fragrances because they are formulas labelled as ‘proprietary’ These ingredients commonly found in numerous known carcinogens but are protected under the FDA’s ‘trade secret’ laws.
Oh and what about the soot from a candle…..Petro-soot from paraffin candles give off the same soot as the exhaust of a diesel engine.
Young Living Essential Oils are 100% therapeutic and the best part is they own their own farms around the world! Their farms exceed the organic standards; pest control is managed with essential oils; weed control is done by hand. I could go on!
Keays2Wellness believes in empowering you with knowledge so you can make the healthiest choices for you and your family.
Neurotoxins at home and in the workplace
Committee of Science and Technology
Candles and Incense as potential sources of indoor air pollution environmental protection agency